Thursday, October 30, 2008

Comfort for the Grieving

If you haven't yet gone through a tragedy in your life - just wait, it's coming. Tragedy and grief are a part of life, unfortunately. It can come in many ways:

Unfaithfulness by a spouse
Divorce
Death of a loved one

They are all death, in a way. Isn't unfaithfulness, and divorce, the death of a dream? The death of a way of life, the death of trust. Terribly painful to go through, and difficult to get beyond.

When we're in the midst of tragedy, it feels as if the grieving will never end. But it does. Psalm 31:5 says, "... weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

It may not be the very next sunrise, but take heart: joy will come back into your heart and your life.

The Psalms are a favorite book to read for comfort. And no wonder - they remind us that we are not all alone in our desperate situation. David certainly knew about pain, rejection, sadness, loss.

"Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed within me; my heart within me is desolate." Psalm 143:4

"Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee." Psalm 143:8

"The Lord is near to them that are of a broken heart..." Psalm 34:18a

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear..." Psalm 46:1

When we're in the midst of a painful situation, it helps tremendously to have a Godly and wise friend (or friends) to be with as much as you can. God doesn't intend for us to go through these things all by ourselves.

He comforts us best of all, but sometimes we need a friend's hug, or gentle touch, to remind us that we matter, that we are loved, that we are special and very valuable.

Also know that God is in control, even when your life seems completely out of control. If He wasn't, He wouldn't be God, would He?

"Fear you not; for I am with you: be not dismayed; for I am your God: I will strengthen you; yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness." Isaiah 41:10

He wants us to tell Him what is hurting, not because He doesn't already know, but because He wants that intimate relationship with us.

"Casting all your care on him; for he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

Jesus said, "These things I have spoken to you, that in me you might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

"And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

With God, there is always hope to get us through whatever trial we are in, because if we are His in Christ Jesus, He promises to go through them with us.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you....." Isaiah 43:2a

Phyllis Towse

No comments: